Updated: Aug 18, 2019
Riding horses is more than just a sport. It's a passion and a way of life for many equestrians. It takes years of dedicated training, and for many it can be a lifelong pursuit.
Riding challenges your symmetry, balance, stability and coordination. When the going gets tough, it's easy to blame your horse for the issues you are having. But those who have ridden for awhile, know better - they look to themselves to see if the 'issue' belongs to them - not their horse!
What is Pilates?
Pilates is a total body system that conditions your body and your mind. It targets your deep postural muscles, bringing your body back into correct alignment, changing the way you move. It reshapes you, creating a more toned, lean and supple body.
Pilates for riders:
* delivers good classical posture, and assists you to build a deeper and more independent seat
* puts you in touch with your riding muscles, developing a flexible pelvis and good core stability
* promotes refinement of your aids by developing sensitivity and accuracy, and leg strength
* improves your concentration and teaches you to coordinate breathing with your movement
* increases your suppleness, enabling better absorption of your horse's movements
All of which will lead to increased comfort during and after your ride!
Integrating Pilates exercises and principles into your daily life builds stamina, movement dexterity and energy.
Riders - enjoy a stronger, more flexible and balanced body. Doing Pilates will help you to build a strong and stable base, which will give you better command over your movements and balance, both of which are essential to create harmony and partnership with your horse.
Enjoy Pilates - enjoy your ride!
The Rider's Edge©